Monday, June 30, 2014

OUT OF SORTS....SORTA

     Sometimes, things just don't go my way. And I can get slightly "out of sorts". I like my life neatly planned out, scheduled, on time, without drama, and mosquito free. But life is rarely like that. Especially the mosquito free part.

     I have a favorite comic strip I read every morning. (Yes, I read the printed paper every morning.)  It's called "Mutts". And one day, one of the characters said he was feeling "sort of unhappy, sort of unsatisfied, sort of unsure, sort of queasy, sort of ..... Out of sorts!"  Day to day life is not easy and can make us feel out of sorts. Life changes quickly, rarely goes as planned, is rushed, full of heavy traffic, and most of the time, full of drama and mosquitos. Life requires a lot of flexibility and I admit, flexible is not something I'm always good at being.

     The past year has been full of change. I turned 50. I changed jobs after 24 years at my old one. I received some unsettling news. I've been disappointed and wounded by some I should be able to trust. The beginning of menopause has crept in.  Change, has been the only constant in my life over the past year. It has been an "out of sorts" kind of year.

     Thankfully, while life is full of change and surprise, we serve a God who is sure and steadfast. He himself declares "I the LORD do not change." (Malachi 3:6)  God is unchanging, good, trustworthy, faithful, wise, and sovereign. When everything else is spinning OUT of control, God is always IN control. Nothing catches Him by surprise and He is never "out of sorts".  Life can knock us out of our seat, but God is always on His throne. 

     When life gets "out of sorts", I can go to the throne of grace, to God Himself.  There I rest secure in His mighty hands, trusting Him and knowing that whatever happens, God knows me, God sees me, and God loves me.  He's waiting for me to call on Him, leave my burdens with Him and find peace and mercy in this "out of sorts" world.  I will find help in my time of need. (Hebrews 4:16)

     And, at the throne of grace, there are no mosquitos.







No comments:

Post a Comment