Thursday, July 5, 2012

What's Behind the Title

You may wonder where the the title of my blog came from. The verse beneath it may give you a clue. 1 Peter 2:10 is the main inspiration behind the title. It says "Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy." This verse and Ephesians 2:13 (NLT) have lunged out at me recently. Have you ever had that experience where you may read the same passages of scripture over and over and then one day BAM!, God hits you between the eyes with it? That's what has happened to me with these verses. But let me go back...
For the past year I have been involved with Bible Study Fellowship (BSF). BSF is an interdenominational, international Bible Study which takes place in 38 nations around the world. It uses a comprehensive 4 Fold approach to Bible study. Every Monday night from September to May I leave Rod and Izzie at home to fend for themselves to attend BSF. I am thankful for good friends who were persistent (but not pushy) in inviting me to attend. For several years, they encouraged me to try it out and for some reason or another (or excuse) I wasn't able to go.  But this past year, God opened every door for me to attend and during the year it was obvious why He wanted me in BSF at this season of my life! I am thankful that God gave me a husband in Rod who encourages me in my walk and study of His Word and didn't mind my leaving him on Monday nights!
Our study this year was the Acts of the Apostles. We studied not only the book of Acts, but also Hebrews, 1 and 2 Thessalonians, Ephesians, 1 and 2 Peter, James, Jude, and 1 and 2 Corinthians! As I intensely encountered God's Word, I encountered more and more of God. I love how Colossians 1:10 in the NLT reads: "All the while , you will grow as you learn to know God better and better." We must LEARN to know God better. He reveals himself to us in scripture. How can we know Him if we don't read and study His Word?? I became serious about my Quiet Time several years ago and I can truthfully say my relationship with Him has grown more than ever as I meet with Him every morning in His Word and in prayer. As I encountered Him and His holiness more in His Word this year, my sin became more and more obvious and I began to appreciate more than ever what Jesus did for me. Jesus took my sin and the judgement due me upon himself on the cross.  The once is gone, but now I am a new creation! Once I was separated from God, but now I am His! I am part of His family! Because of Christ, I am even called God's friend!!! God had mercy on me and gave His Son Jesus for me!  There is a song by Jason Gray called "I Am New". Some of the lyrics say -

 "I am not who I was
I'm being remade, I am new,
 I am chosen and holy and I'm dearly love, I am new".
Forgiven, beloved,
Hidden in Christ
Made in the image of the Giver of Life
Righteous and holy, reborn and remade
Accepted and worthy
This is our new name"

This song could be my testimony. Once..But Now - Exactly! Now you know.

2 comments:

  1. God gave you in this blog words we all should live by. Thank you Robin for you food for thought and ACTION. ~ Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Ann and Praise Be to God!

    ReplyDelete