Monday, August 6, 2012

Celebrity or Witness?

 I have to admit that I was somewhat "starstruck" when I first met Jase Robertson, Duck Commander at the Sportsman's Banquet last Saturday night. In my previous post, I talked about the banquet. Prayers were answered and the banquet was a tremendous success.
I was excited to meet Jase and his wife Missy. I would be lying if I said their "celebrity" didn't mean a thing to me. I mean, here I was meeting someone on TV! Someone on probably the most popular reality show on television right now! Jase with the beard, hat and camo pants and beautiful Missy with the sweet smile. My "job' at the banquet was to assist Missy with whatever she might need. Hard job right? It was a privilege but for someone (me) who doesn't glisten but sweats, it was not the most glamorous or comfortable job. I stayed with Missy in the "Vendor Tent" to help her with the Duck Commander products the guests wanted to purchase. It was HOT in that Vendor tent and with the many people who wanted to meet Jase, it got even hotter as time passed! (I must add that while I was sweating and wilting, Missy never perspired or even "glistened" It must be because she is from Louisiana. She stayed cool as a cucumber.)  At one point, I did the "fan" thing and got a picture made with them and many other volunteers did too. Both were very gracious and patient with everyone who wanted to meet, talk and take pictures with them. These two are the most patient and kind people I have ever met.
It came time for Jase to speak and after a short video introduction of him, everyone cheered as he approached the stage and then he began. I had heard he was a tremendous speaker so I was waiting for something really good! Well, he didn't disappoint! He talked about hunting and duck calls (things I know NOTHING about), gave some tips and information about well....ducks. And then the moment came. He pulled, out of his camo bag, his Bible. I am positive many in the audience weren't expecting that part. Most came to see and hear a famous duck hunter from a famous duck hunting family, a reality TV star, a celebrity! They weren't disappointed but more importantly what they got was a Witness for Jesus Christ. An on-fire Christ follower who is not ashamed of His Lord and Savior and not ashamed to "preach it" from God's Word! A man God has blessed for his obedience to Him and a man who recognizes what it all means, what is important, where it all comes from, and WHO gives him life. When I first saw Jase, I saw him as a celebrity but by the end of the night, I saw a man who, to use Jase's words, "is in love with the author of the Bible."  Not a celebrity but a witness. The celebrity didn't matter anymore. Jase and Missy are the real deal. Both are genuine, humble, and caring. Both have evidence of the Holy Spirit within them, enabling them to do all that they do, in the way they do it, for the God they love and serve. They are faithfully carrying out God's purpose and plan for them. He blessed them for a reason and they don't waste an opportunity to glorify Him.  God doesn't see celebrity. He doesn't care about how popular we are or how we look on the outside. He doesn't want celebrity, He wants someone who loves and serves Him and is a sold out follower of Jesus! He wants us to allow Him to use us in whatever position He puts us in for His glory.
I may not be a celebrity and no one may even want my picture. (Though I had one man look at me with suspicious eyes and ask if I was on the show. He wasn't surprised when I said no.) I may not be a famous duck hunter or TV personality.  I am not Jase or Missy.  I am Robin. I am God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for me to do. (Ephesians 2:10) God has a plan for Jase and Missy and God has a plan for me. He works it out for Jase and Missy in one way and for me in another. But Jase, Missy, and I and EVERYONE who is a Child of God through Jesus Christ is called to share Him with others. It may be in different ways and avenues and venues but the goal is the same: tell others about Jesus Christ, about how He loves them and how He died for them so they will trust and believe in Him and have eternal life. Jase does it faithfully and well, will I?
Jase, Robin, Missy, Rod

Matthew 28:19, 20
"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

1 comment:

  1. Robin, I love your blog!! I love that you take anything that happens in your life, from the every-day simple things to the celebrity, and you remind us what God says about how we should live, love and be witnesses for Him. Thank you so much for that!!

    ReplyDelete