Sunday, September 2, 2012

Carter-Finley Stadium: My Story

Carter-Finley Stadium is home to the Wolfpack! For as long as I can remember, I've been an NC State fan. I was raised that way. My father would not permit cheering for any other team in the house, and that's ok because we all know the Wolfpack is the best! My father was such a devout Pack fan, all of my family wore red and white to his funeral.
I don't go to all the football games at Carter-Finley, but when I do, I'm caught up in the action and excitement. I love red and white. (Red is a great color on me.) I love tailgating with family before the game. I love watching the band run out on the field and the half-time performance. I love waving my red pom-pom. I love the cheerleaders and the dance team.  I love wearing my Wolfpack t-shirt and pin. I love watching my fellow fan's emotions during the game. I love how LOUD it is! And, I love screaming and cheering for my Pack. What's not to love? Carter-Finley is the place!
But Carter-Finley holds a special place in my heart for another reason. It's part of my story. Something happened at Carter-Finley Stadium back in 1973 that is much more important than a football game. Much more exciting than wearing red, tailgating, watching the band and cheerleaders, and other fans. It's much more important and worth much more screaming and cheering than football. Back in 1973, a man named Billy Graham brought his crusade to Carter-Finley Stadium. I was there one night, sitting on the Visitor's side, lower level on about the south 30 yard line.  I heard Rev. Graham share the Good News about Jesus with thousands of people, but I knew he was talking directly to me. He told me how Jesus had died on the cross for my sins. How if I believed in him, I would have eternal life. When he was finished, he gave the invitation for those who made a decision to follow Jesus to come down on the field. I was only 9 years old but I knew God was calling me to be His. There on that football field, I confessed Jesus as Savior of my life.
When Caitlin was 3, Rod and I began attending Ridgecrest Baptist Church. At RBC, under Pastor Don Chasteen, (and now Pastor Marc Francis), various teachers, and Bible study leaders, my relationship with Christ was nurtured and began to grow. I desired more out of my relationship with Him. I wanted to love and trust Jesus more, and know Him better. I wanted a passion for Him and His Word. I wanted to be more than saved, I wanted to be His disciple. I prayed for that and God answered my prayer. My relationship is now deeper and more intimate. The passion He gave me for His Word led me to teaching others. For the past several years I've taught a Ladies Sunday School class (the Daughters Of The King- "DOTKs") and I've been blessed to minister to and encourage others. Recently, God brought me to a new place of service on the Women's Ministry team as Bible Study Coordinator. My desire is for women to know God, love God and love His Word. It is life-changing-I can testify to that! I don't know where God will lead me next, but I am content to continue loving and serving Him wherever He places me. I am always in awe that He loved me enough to save me and always amazed He can use a sinner like me! I never enter Carter-Finley Stadium and look on that field without remembering that night in August, 1973, The beginning of My Story.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.
John 3:16


No comments:

Post a Comment