Sunday, September 9, 2012

Don't Wave...GO!

As I was walking through church this morning, hurriedly on my way to the gym for the EXALT service, I saw a little girl I had worked with in Awanas and her brother. I waved hello and she had a happy and "I know you!" expression as she waved back. All was well, or so I thought.
As I sat in the service listening to Pastor Marc teach about following Jesus' example of connecting with people, I had one of those hit between the eyeball moments, or as Pastor Marc called it, "a hit in the heart with a 2x4 moment".  I listened to how Jesus STOPPED what he was doing to really minister and connect to people. I thought back to that simple wave before the service and asked myself how many times do I simply wave when I should STOP and connect. How many times do I think "all is well" when it really isn't. Waving is really a way of saying, "I see you but I don't have time for you." Or at least at times it is for me. It's like going through the grocery store, passing someone and giving a nod of the head, a slight glance or maybe a slight hello as you cut in front of them to grab a can of green beans. You try to look friendly when all you want is a can of beans. You don't know or care about the other person's beans. You just want yours. It's the "I'm in a hurry and life is all about me" syndrome and I yes, I am afflicted with it. Green beans and all.
Ah, back to the wave. Do I wave at the homeless person? Do I wave at the busy, tired mother in the hallway? Do I wave at the person whose marriage is falling apart? Do I wave at my friend that I know needs to talk? I'm surprised my waving hand isn't falling off! Do I wave at the cashier at the store who looks exhausted? Do I wave at the elderly widow, at the next-door neighbor caring for her disabled husband and do I wave at the new neighbor? What if Jesus had gone through his life on this earth waving and smiling instead of touching, listening, teaching, healing, and really loving and caring about the people He came in contact with? He didn't just wave, so why do I? If I am serious about following His example, sharing His love and reaching people for Him, I'll stop waving. Instead, I'll stop what I 'm doing and listen, touch, share, care and look them directly in the eyes. I'll leave my place of comfort and go to where they are. I will go into their homes, their business, their playground. I will not just study His Word, I will actually DO His Word. I will quit worrying about my busy schedule and all that I have to get done and pay attention to the mom who is so exhausted she can't get anything done. I will notice the widow that just wants me to hold her hand and listen to what she has to say (and to what she can teach me). I will interrupt my schedule and offer to run errands for the neighbor with the disabled husband and I will introduce myself to the new neighbor and finally learn their name. It won't always be easy or convenient but Jesus never said following Him would be easy or convenient. I need to remember what Priscilla Shirer writes in her study of Jonah: "Your life involves you but is not ultimately about you."  Maybe I need a visual to remind me of what God revealed to me and convicted me of today. I got it. A can of green beans will work just fine!

No comments:

Post a Comment